Stepping back.....

Too frequently conflict with others or within ourselves comes from being too close, too involved, in a situation or event. 'Stepping back' from the situation can often reveal aspects not otherwise considered or seen.

Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

An ear for all my friends who don't have any.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Invisible Ball-and-Chain!

Recently, I was shopping in a small store of various
merchandise in equally various departments. Checking
out what might be available on the book shelves, I
heard someone come up behind me and stop. Thinking
that perhaps I needed to make room for the person,
I turned to see at what area they were looking and
could I accomodate them by a step to the left or
right.

However, upon turning, I realized that the lady was
not as close as I thought. She was standing about
five feet from me, in the middle of the area, facing
in my general direction. I noticed that she was
dialing a number on her cell phone. Then I heard her
side of the conversation. It went something like this:

"Hey."
"Where are you?"
"I'm over here in the book section."
"No, it's where the miscellaneous items are."
"Yeah."
"Well, just turn to your right."
"No. Look to your right. I see you."
"Yeah, here I am."

At that moment a man came walking up to her, also
on a cell phone. It was then I realized that the
two of them were talking to each other. In this
small store!

I smiled as I realized that a rope tied to his leg
would have been a lot cheaper than two cell phones
and would have probably caused a lot more heads to
turn to see what in the world was going on. Or, to
put it another way, the 'see-me' factor would have
risen ten-fold.

I wonder if they do this when entertaining in their
home. He, keeping the guests entertained out on the
patio. She, in the kitchen getting another bottle of
wine.
Her cell phone rings.

"Hello."
"More dip? Ok."
"Yeah."
"I'll bring it right out."

Or, how about this:

She-working in the flower bed. He-taking a nap in
front of the tv's afternoon football game. His cell
phone rings.

"Hello."
"Yeah, I'm awake, why?"
"Well, how much do you need?"
"Where in the garage?"
"The blue bag with the yellow label?"
"Ok. I'll bring it right out."

Or, maybe this:

He-at the dining table. His cell phone rings.

"Hello."
"Oh, it's you."
"Sweetheart, you're just at the other end of the table."
"Yeah, it's fun."
"The peas?"
"I'll slide them over to you. Catch."

Or:

She, reading in bed. He, curled up on
the other side of the bed. Her cell phone
rings.

"Yeah."
"But honey, I've only got one more chapter."
"Yeah, I'll get one tomorrow."
"Ok, ok! I'll turn it off!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home